10 Things you probably didn't know about Oktoberfest
While I personally have never been to Oktoberfest in Munich, I have done extensive research, talked to many folks who go every year and I was STILL so surprised to learn some of these stats. I can't wait to share them with you!
The following statistics are from https://www.oktoberfest.net/oktoberfest-statistics/ from 2018
Did you know...
- Oktoberfest hosted 7.2 million visitors
- The Wisen (the fest) is called that but the locals because it is located on the Theresienwiese, which was named after Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen.
- There are 14 large tents and 20 small tents
- These tents are built from scratch every year and then dismantled after the celebration is over
- It is held primarily in September for weather reasons
- Beverages sold:
- 6,900,000 Liters of beer
- 94,795 Liters of wine
- 299,938 Liters of coffee and tea
- 1,130,701 Liters of water and lemonade
- Food Sold:
- 548,899 chickens
- 140,225 pairs of pork sausages
- 75,456 Schweinhaxen (pork shanks)
- 111,000 people attempted to steal a mug... and failed
- There is a post office just for the Wisen and approximately 130,000 letters were mailed from there
- Approximately 4,500 items were lost including:
- 1,000 articles of clothing
- 950 ID cards
- 570 wallets
- 300 pairs of keys
- 400 eyeglasses
- 480 cellphones
- 45 umbrellas and walking sticks
- 2 wedding rings
- 2 license plates
- 2 French Horns
- a hearing aid
- a pair of hand cuffs
- a table tennis bat
- a playboy magazine
- a dog (not to worry... the owner claimed the pup)
Going to Oktoberfest this year and not sure what to pack? Kein Problem! CLICK HERE to download our FREE Oktoberfest Packing Checklist.
Looking for more Dirndl Style tips & tricks? Click the link to get access to our official style guide! >> https://bit.ly/dirndlstyle
Please note that some of the links in select posts are affiliate links and, at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase.
As always, ideas and opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. - Erika