German-American’s Guide to Cancer Season
We’re into cozy Cancer season! A cardinal water sign, it kicks off summer with the solstice on June 21! Cancer season is a nice time to care for your home space–spruce up your bedroom or house, give your outdoor areas some love, do some gardening, tend to projects that have been on hold. Gemini season makes us curious about what’s out there, and Cancer season invites us to dive into what’s at home, what we return to after being curious.
The Cancer New Moon comes on June 28–a GREAT time to spend time at home, in the bath, in a body of water, setting intentions for the next six months around how you’d like to nurture yourself more, what sort of self-care you can commit to, and listening to your intuition.
Mars moves into Taurus on July 5–asking us to sloooooow down and be deliberate in how we’re spending our energy. If it’s not towards a practical, measurable goal, you might not be so inclined to start or work so hard. Mars doesn’t love being in Taurus, but it encourages us to work slow and steady towards a goal that’s worth investing in.
July 13 brings the Cancer Full Moon, with the moon in Capricorn. This full moon is a good time to assess your security needs–emotionally and resource-wise. What would make you feel more secure? More money? More hugs? Words of affirmation? A cleaner house? This Full Moon invites you to touch into where you’re feeling very stable, and where you need to do some work to get more balanced.
How Cancer season might show up for you:
- It’s a confusing time–it’s the height of summer, but you might just want to be at home with your feelings. That’s ok! Cancer is a very emotional time and can bring up feelings about how the time is passing–you might be remembering where you were last summer at this time, how your relationships or situation has changed since then.
- You might be feeling more nostalgic, or drawn to bodies of water to soothe you, or wanting to be around the most familiar people in your life.
- Since Cancer is ruled by the crab, you might be experiencing indirect communication (crabs walk sideways, they don’t charge straight forward). Notice where you could be more direct, while still being gentle in your communication and interactions with others.
- You could be picking up a lot of other people’s energy right now–it’s ok to need more alone time to process this!
Ways to work with the energy of Cancer season:
- Take a nap on Mondays if you can! Mondays are the Moon’s day, which rules Cancer. Even though it’s summer and it feels like you should be out in the sun and being social, Cancer season reminds us to take care of our hearts + bodies, and Cancer loves to be a home resting, so give yourself some downtime.
- Keep a moon journal this month, and onward if it feels like a good practice. You could see what sign it’s in and how you feel, or what phase it’s in and track your energy.
- Spruce up your home–do something nice for it so it feels more inviting, safe, and cozy. Get a new blanket or deep clean your bedroom.
- Cancer season is a great time for checking in with yourself about how you nurture your goals, your body, and your spirit. If you need to put new habits in place, Cancer is an optimistic time to do so!
Dirndl designs for Cancer season:
- Embracing intuition and emotions while channeling the essence of the sea, the Zodiac Dirndl in Cancer has an elegant silver lace apron with sea-green ribbons.
- The corresponding colors for the bodice are shades of white, grey and green.
- To channel the loyalty and gentleness of Cancer, the fabric choices are lace, cotton and satin.
- Similarly, for the Moon Rising Dirndl in Cancer, the apron ribbon colors are cool and watery shades of white, grey and sea-green.
Food & drink for Cancer season
To get in the Cancer spirit (pun intended), you can whip up this infused liqueur with Cancer and Moon-ruled herbs:
- 6 ripe pears, stemmed + finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 cinnamon stick, cracked
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 2 cups vodka (80-100 proof)
- 2 ½ c dry vermouth (18% ABV)
- 1 c simple syrup
In a half-gallon jar, use a wooden spoon to muddle the pears. Add the lemon + lime zests, cinnamon stick, vanilla, vodka + vermouth and stir it all together. Seal the jar and put it in a dark cool cabinet until it smells very pear-y, about a week. Strain with a mesh strainer into a clean jar. Stir in the simple syrup and mix with sparkle water to taste!
This is a simple one! Cut up some cantaloupe + cucumber, and smash them a lil with some ice, and pour sparkle water over it! If you’d like, add a sprig of fresh rosemary or a splash of rose water and toast to the Moon!
The obvious choice for a cozy, comforting German dish is Käsesätzle. This dish is a great side dish to share for spring get-togethers! Check out this recipe from Just Like Oma
Photo credit: Just Like Oma
Another great choice for Cancer season is this creamy leek soup from My German Recipes.
About the Astrologer: Lacey Prpić Hedtke is an astrologer, photographer, public artist, and witch, and runs The Future–a space and shop in Minneapolis for artists and witches. You can find more at:
Please note that some of the links in select posts are affiliate links and, at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase.
As always, ideas and opinions expressed in this post are entirely my own. - Erika