German-American’s Guide to Libra season
We made it to Libra season! Venus-ruled Libra kicks off a new cycle, with the equinox in the evening. Equinox means “equal night”, which means the light and dark hours are the same today, a good day to think about balance. The day after the Sun moves into Libra, retrograding Mercury moves back into Virgo, so it might not feel like it’s full steam ahead–it might feel like we’re retracing some steps.
On September 25 we get a Libra New Moon. It’s a fresh new moon in the first degrees of Libra, a great day to see your relationships with fresh eyes, come at them from a different point of view or mindset. Libra is airy, and a new moon asks us to approach something from an open mind, so be open to new ways of thinking about your relationships. Today is a great day to treat yourself to a trip to a museum, making or looking at art, putting on an outfit that feels luxurious, making a really nice meal.
On the Venusian tip, Venus goes into Libra on September 29, and stays through October 22. Venus is at home in Libra, adding an extra dose of that newness from the New Moon a few days earlier. This is a lovely month to invest in what you value–making your house or wardrobe or hair or the art and aesthetics in your home nicer. Time for a glow-up!
Good news, Mercury goes direct on October 2, so it might feel like your conversations become clearer, you have some clarity around how to proceed with a partnership or friendship, and like you can move forward.
October 9 brings the Aries Full Moon–a good time to think back to what you were excited about starting in the spring, and how it’s reached some maturity or conclusion. Where do you need to rebalance?
How Libra season might show up for you:
- Libra season is so much about other people–try to schedule some one-on-ones with people you’d like to spend some time with before the fall gets too busy.
- Notice how all the organizing during Virgo season made you feel better about your house or closet, or whatever it is you’ve been trying to beautify, and put some cute touches on it.
- Having coffee and long walks with long chats is what this season is for–when in doubt, leave a long voicemail!
Ways to work with the energy of Libra season:
- If you work with tarot, put the Justice card on your altar, and think on where your center is–Libra has to do with balance, so check in with yourself this month around how to get centered, where making decisions for yourself first enables you to take others’ needs into account.
- Wear a fancy outfit at least once a week, even if it’s just around the house. Venus rules pleasure and the more we can feel cute and hot and amazing this month, the more you’re inviting in that Venusian luxe energy.
- On Fridays (Venus’s day), carve out some time to do something creative or see some art, flip through Vogue, anything that inspires you to live your finest life, no matter what your budget.
Dirndl designs for Libra season:
- Libra’s element is air, and with that in mind the Zodiac Dirndl in Libra has a light and airy lavender chiffon apron with light blue and pink ribbons.
- The corresponding colors for the bodice are shades of light blue, pink and lavender.
- To embody the easygoing nature of the Libra sign, there are pops of denim and lace in the bodice.
- Similarly, the Moon Rising Dirndl in Libra has Lavender, pink and blue ribbons with the apron ties.
Food & Drink for Libra season
To get in the Libra spirit (pun intended), you can whip up this infused liqueur with Libra and Venus-ruled herbs:
- 3 ¼ c (1 fifth or 750 ml) vodka (80-100 proof)
- 2 pints cherries, stems removed and crushed (don’t bother pitting them) or 2 ½ c dried sour cherries, chopped
- 2 vanilla beans
- 1 c simple syrup
Combine the vodka, cherries and vanilla in a jar. Cover and let it sit in a dark place until it smells very cherry-like, about 3-5 days if you used dried fruit, and about a week for fresh fruit. Strain out the solids and mix the simple syrup in. Mix this with Hi-Biscus sparkle water!
- Cherry juice
- Sliced strawberries or dehydrated strawberries
- Sparkle water of your choice
Mix cherry juice with a sparkle water and pour over ice. Add a sliced strawberry to the rim, or sprinkle in some dehydrated strawberries for ultimate Venusian vibes.
When I think light and airy, German pancakes come to mind and this recipe from the blog Tastes Better from Scratch is a great one to try this time of year.
About the Astrologer: Lacey Prpić Hedtke is an astrologer, photographer, public artist, and witch, and runs The Future–a space and shop in Minneapolis for artists and witches. You can find more at: