German-American’s Guide to Sagittarius Season
After the moody, introspective Scorpio season, Sagittarius comes in ready for socializing and fun and connecting with the outside world. Sagittarius is a Jupiter-ruled fiery sign, here to make a lot of plans, talk and think about big things, and prioritize fun and movement. The Sun, Venus + Mercury are all in Sagittarius at the kickoff to Sagittarius season, so it’s feeling extra expansive and Jupitarian. Mercury rules how we talk and communicate, and while it’s in Sag, it’s a good idea to check your filter before you say anything that might come off wrong, and to give people a lot of grace around how you receive what people are saying right now. Venus in Sagittarius values adventure, learning and expansion in some way–make your love language excitement this month, whether it be learning something new or going somewhere you’ve never been.
On December 6 Mercury enters Capricorn, and three days later on December 9 Venus joins it in Capricorn. The shift from Sagittarius to Capricorn can feel like the party is ending, and we have to get more serious about how we’re communicating, what we’re spending our time thinking and learning about, and getting more practical after a season of togetherness and whatever partying looks like for you. Capricorn season asks us to look at what we’re investing in for the rest of the winter–how would you like to spend your time in the darker winter months? Where can you seek out some structure to your days?
December 7 brings the Full Moon in Gemini–a good time to reflect on the past two weeks or six months around what has reached a conclusion or realization concerning your growth. What have you learned in the past six months that make you more compassionate to people or communities that are in wildly different situations than you? How has being curious and open to the world brought you more understanding?
We’ll see Jupiter move into Aries on December 20th, where it will stay until May 17, 2023, which will be an opportunity to put into place any inspiring ideas you had in May 2022. Jupiter in Aries asks us to boldly take risks, go for it, charge ahead even if you don’t feel totally ready or are feeling some imposter syndrome. Aries is an initiating sign, and is all about trying it even if it doesn’t work.
How Sagittarius season might show up for you:
- This season is always a good time for socializing, connecting, growing the love, and not so much for being productive or working and getting things done–leave that for Capricorn season next month.
- You might be traveling or planning a trip or coming together with people from a lot of different backgrounds or areas of your life. This is a great time of year to consider all the ways that we’re similar, how our humanity ties us together, and all the ways we can show up for each other.
- Sagittarius loves to learn about philosophy, religion, how people all around the world search for truth. Stock up on some winter reading, add some books to your library hold list, and get inspired on some new-to-you ideas!
Ways to work with the energy of Sagittarius season:
- If you work with tarot, put the Wheel of Fortune card on your altar, and remember that nothing is permanent–the wheel is always turning, and the only constant is change.
- On Thursdays (Jupiter’s day), find some time to do something to expand your experience–check out a book from the library on a topic that feels foreign to you, make an effort to explore your neighborhood, plan a mental or physical trip, reach out to someone who’s far away.
- It’s no mistake that coat drives and toy donations and gift-giving comes around Sagittarius season–this sign is about seeing how we’re all connected even if on the surface we seem different. Sagittarius can be really generous and optimistic, and acts of mutual aid fall into that generous and giving Sag vibe.
Dirndl designs for Sagittarius season:
- My fellow Sagittarius’ are optimistic and adaptable and with that in mind, the Zodiac Dirndl in Sagittarius has a flowy iridescent turquoise chiffon apron with dark purple ribbons.
- The corresponding colors for the bodice are shades of purple, Turquoise, and indigo.
- To embody the generous and adventurous nature of the Sagittarius sign, there are pops of denim and suede in the bodice.
- Similarly, the Moon Rising Dirndl in Sagittarius has purple and turquoise ribbons with the apron ties.
Food & drink for Sagittarius season:
To get in the Sagittarius spirit (pun intended), you can whip up this infused liqueur with Sagittarius and Jupiter-ruled herbs:
- 1 fifth (750 ml/3 ¼ cups) gin (80 proof)
- 1 cup honey
- ½ c anise seeds, crushed
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 oranges–just the zest
- 1 pomegranate
Combine gin, the zest from 3 oranges, pomegranate seeds from one pomegranate, anise seeds + salt in a big jar + stir. Put it in a cool, dark place to steep for 3-5 days, until it’s fragrant. Strain it and stir in the honey and drink!
- Orange juice
- Pomegranate seeds
This is so simple, but one of my favorite “fancy” drinks. Just put some pomegranate seeds into a glass with some orange juice and voila! Eat with a spoon if you’d like, or garnish with some rosemary for a drinkable feast.
One of my favorite recipes for this season is Schupfnudeln with Saurkraut. This adventurous and ambitious meal is worth the effort and is simply delicious.
Photo credit: Dirndl Kitchen
About the Astrologer: Lacey Prpić Hedtke is an astrologer, photographer, public artist, and witch, and runs The Future–a space and shop in Minneapolis for artists and witches. You can find more at: